As ever, thanks for the support.
No, I can roll in after they've been idle for hours and the call will fail. We did tumble to the fact that it takes a while for them to come back to a discoverable state, which actually changed the way we go about probing them; my original plan was to boot them just long enough to discover the type of camera (which only seems available via a Device() object), but with configurations with as many as eight cameras, booting all of them twice got unwieldy, so I just wait until I go to load the pipelines and if the camera in question doesn't have something that the specific pipeline needs (like an IMU to figure out if the camera is pointing the wrong way) I just deal with it asynchronously.
No, no pipelines running. That said, let me switch to getAllConnectedDevices and see if the observed behavior changes.
I'd tripped over the doc in question and didn't see anything that we weren't already doing. However, until last night we've been running these things as they come out of the box using DHCP, or programmatically setting their IPV4 and netmask using a stand-alone tool we tossed together, and it wasn't until I built the Python side of the house to use the configuration tool that the dim bulb went on and I realized these things don't ship with their Mac address set. I can imagine that causing a variety of issues, so I'll be dealing with that today. I guess I'll make them look like Nests or RIng doorbells or somethin' 😉